My objective was to design a map which vizualises the storyline of “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” by Frank Baum and to convert the map into a working boardgame.
As an entire category of games, board games have become outdated. A solution to revive them is to combine them with an element of nostalgia – in this case, a story and movie franchise that most people around the world grew up with, “The Wizard of Oz”.
Frank Baum, the writer, had an interest in cartography and had made an original map of his creation, the land of Oz. Therefore, there were the following challenges:
1. Visualizing the land of Oz in the form of a map, keeping in mind Baum's map
2. Visualizing the storyline of the movie/book in the map, showing the journey of the characters from start to finish
3. Converting this map into a playable game.
Several sketches had to be made in order to resolve these challenges.
1. Players choose to assume the role of either Dorothy, Tin Woodman, Scarecrow, or Cowardly Lion.
2. Players take turns to roll the dice to determine their current position on the yellow brick road.
3. Players pick a random card whose colour corresponds to the colour of the square they land on. For example, if they land on a blue square, they pick a random blue card.
4. This card will determine whether they move forward or backward on the path. This process is repeated until the first player reaches the red castle, who is the winner.